Halki’s name originates from the copper (halkos in Greek) mines that used to exist on the island. Halki flourished at the end of 19th century, when the locals developed navigation and sponge commerce. Halki followed the historic course of neighbouring Rhodes and was officially united with Greece in 1948. It extends over a surface of 28km²; its coastline is 34km and counts 430 inhabitants. It can be reached by ferry from Piraeus and Rhodes.