Kos is the third largest island in the Dodecanese, located just four miles from the Turkish coast, and is characterised by endless coasts with turquoise waters, lush vegetation, abundant water springs and ancient and medieval monuments.
The name ‘Kos’ probably derives from Koos, the daughter of the mythical King Meropas. Kos is the birthplace of Hippocrates ‘the father of medicine’ (460-377 BC). The Knights of St. John conquered the island during the 14th century. There then followed centuries of Ottoman rule before a brief Italian occupation was ended when the island united with Greece in 1948. Kos extends over a surface of 290km²; its coastline is 112km and counts 31,000 inhabitants. It can be reached by ferry from Piraeus or by aeroplane from Athens airport.