Lipsi is situated in the nothern Dodecanese and is the largest island among a complex of smaller islands and islets, which are of great environmental interest (they are part of the Natura network). The island is located between Patmos and Leros. Lipsi was officially united with Greece in 1948. It extends over a surface of 16 km², its coastline is 35km and counts 700 inhabitants. It can be reached by ferry from Leros and Patmos.
Sights worth visiting
• The majestic church of Agios Ioannis, Theologos, situated next to the Town Hall and the Museum. In the church there is the icon of the Black Madonna dating from 1500.
• The Ecclesiastical-Folklore Museum, including some ecclesiastic relics and a small archaeological collection.
• Panagia of Haros, located just 1.5km away from Lipsi town. This is the only icon in Greece where the Virgin Mary is depicted holding in her arms the Crucified Jesus, instead of the Infant Jesus. The monastery as well as the icon dates from 1600.
The surrounding islands:
Around Lipsi there are several small islands and rock-islets. The most distinguishing ones are: Makronisi, Frago, Refoulia, Aspronisia and Kalapodia.